Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bits, Bytes, and Decibels

I missed Kaatcha. I've been slumbering for awhile. So to catch up on 'tings I created a new audio segment called Bits, Bytes, 'N Decibels...

some samples - of songs - from acts - i enjoy.

and perhaps you will too.

This first addition (yah!) includes three albums from 2008 that I NOW just recently lent my ears to. (I might have mentioned before my issues with timeliness. Obviously I am not improving on such mentioned problem.)



Ida Maria : Fortress Round My Heart

This Swedish fire cracker might be a little off her rocker. But so is one of her influences Bjork, and the artist that draws the most similarity, PJ Harvey. And as it happened for them, being a loose canon can be a wonderful thing. Bottle up, shake vigorously, and explode is pretty much the mind set behind the rousing, angst filled songs of Fortress Round My Heart... And Ida's damn proud of it.

Music Samples: Oh My God, I Like You So Much Better When Your Naked



The Gaslight Anthem : The '59 Sound
Straight out the dirty Jerz, (that's the small state of New Jersey for the non-lokes) The Gaslight Anthem brings back the good ole' american puck rock to its finest. It's hardcore greaser rock can be routed back to their similar sounding influences, Bruce Springsteen or Bob Seger. But with a little more edge. And a lot more grit. The rollicking fun style of '59 Sound makes one reminisce to the days of kicking it by the train tracks with a Chevy car radio and some bottles of booze. The Gaslight Anthem delivers a crisp, clever sound full or urgency, energy and late night debauchery.

Music Samples: Great Expectations, The '59 Sound



The Black Ghosts : The Black Ghosts

The self-titled debut from the duo Black Ghosts is a promising one to say the least. If I had to draw a comparison it would be somewhere between acts like Chromeo or Kenna dabblin' with some ecstasy. The Black Ghosts' dance invoked hip-hop is intelligent and refined, yet this s/t still offers plenty of pop to go around. Their soft hooks and subtle sounds make it apparent that they've been doing this for awhile. And are damn good at it.

Music Samples: Anyway You Choose To Give It, Some Way Through This

1 comment:

  1. That little videorama was f*kin awesome Jill! You're berry talented! Did anyone ever tell you that? Well, you make me look quite chummpy when you put that much creative chutzpah into your contributions!... i better go back to the ol' drawing board.

    Dang.

    ReplyDelete